Sit tight…Biology class calls (more pictures to follow)…
Some—okay most—of the styles strutted down the runway of Charleston’s Fashion Week were far beyond the average college student budget. But that doesn’t mean you can take inspiration and adapt it to something obtainable for your budget. Below, five fashion week trends to make Charleston Fashion Week your own.
1. The White Jean: A staple among most of the more modern stores—from II Brunnettes to Hampden to Biton. Now while you might not be able to afford the ones seen on the runway, many more affordable stores carry this Spring 2008 staple. White jeans are a ticket to instant style—update your spring look in a snap with this essential look.
2. The Jumper: No more is the jumper reserved for children on the playground, as fashion week showed us. Models paraded in jumpers inspired by every style imaginable. Dress your own up or down any way you like, from athletic (with cute tennis shoes and sweatbands) to safari (with natural jewelry and espadrilles).
3. The Long Dress (aka The Maxi Dress): Nothing is so effortless, and so chic. Long dresses were abundant on the Marion Square runway, and fortunately enough for you…abundant in most stores this season. Whether you stomp this style with the long, flowy version or with a more structured style, this trend is easily adaptable.
4. The Short Short: Shorts don’t just stop at denim…as fashion week 2008 illustrated—and vibrantly at that. Branch out into any number of colors and patterns. Skip pairing your shorts with just the average flip-flop, and channel your inner model by sporting them with heels, wedges, or—if you dare—boots.
5. Yellow: The color of sunflowers, lemonade, and Charleston Fashion Week 2008. Add a splash of this color to your outfit for an instant dash of fashion. Designers—and trendy crowd members alike—flashed this look in total radiance. Yellow is a color that for the most part looks good on anyone, so rock it in any way you dare. For just a splash of color add a yellow belt, purse, or headband to your look. Step the look up with a cheery yellow sundress or blouse. Any way you sport it, the color yellow will perk you up for a Charleston spring.